Souderton-Telford Main Streets MGR.
Village Centre Office Suites
121 N Main Suite 107
Souderton, PA 18964
P.O. Box 314
Telford, PA 18969
Telford Historic Buildings
101 South Main Street.
Though talk for a Reformed congregation in Telford was as early as the 1870s, this building was finished around 1897, and includes a steeply pitched roof with gable front, pointed-arch windows and pointed arch doorways.
North Main Street and Penn Avenue.
The original structure was built in 1867 by the North Pennsylvania Railroad, to get the train to stop in Telford, which traveled between Philadelphia and Bethlehem.
When the railroad named the station Telford, after Thomas Telford, the town changed its name to Telford as well. (Before that time the area was known as Hendricks Blacksmith which was later changed to County Line). The Moses Shelly fire of 1903 burned the original building to the ground. The present depot was rebuilt that same year.
Today the Train Station, the Freight Station and the parking lot were recently renovated and now house two establishments Shekala's and Marvelous Mealz. These efforts were awarded with the prestigious 2008 Montgomery Revitalization Award.
120 North Main Street.
Across from the Telford Marketplace and constructed in 1905 by Frank and Warren Fenstermacher, this building originally housed a barber shop and a meat store. The building also housed the Telford Post office until around 1960, as well as a general store.
Upstairs were apartments and the meeting place for the Telford Stag Club for young men under 16 years old.
126 Penn Avenue.
Alexander Sellers built the original structure in 1863 as a general hotel, eventually owned by John M. Kuhn in 1899.
While Kuhn was owner, the hotel was an active, and prosperous business, housing cigar-maker boarders. There was a livery for horses or carriages for rent, as well as for boarders. They held cow and horse sales regularly. On the second floor of the livery was a hall where many public events were held. Before electricity, in the wash room at the rear of the hotel, Dog Tread Power was used with a Saint Bernard on a treadmill to operate the wash machine.
After numerous renovations, the building was purchased by Harry Fuhr in 1926 and housed a pharmacy for over 30 years before being renovated to its current use and style.
122 Penn Avenue.
The Telford Borough Office is situated in the old home of Telfords first volunteer fire company.
At first, Telford relied on an old style hand pumper from Philadelphia. However, it was soon shown that a hand pumper was not enough when Telford suffered a massive fire in 1903 that damaged many of the towns buildings.
After this, a volunteer fire company was formed and the fire house completed in 1905. Telfords fire company operated from here until 1953 when the current fire house was built at Broad and Fourth Streets.
Page 1 of 2